Out of stock
Out of stock
Corgi Aviation Archive 1/32 scale AA34603: de Havilland Mosquito B.Mk IV of 109 Sqn RAF, based at RAF Woodhall Spa in late 1944. Limited edition of 1,500 pieces.
Length 15.5 inches Wingspan 20.25 inches.
109 Squadron was an Oboe Squadron (high level blind bombing radar aid). It flew out of Wyton, Marham, Little Staughton, Woodall Spa, Hemswell, Wickenby and Coningsby. It was disbanded on 30th September 1945 and reformed as 627 Squadron on the 1st October 1945. Whatever the upper surfaces were, in October 1942, No. 109 Squadron’s Mosquitoes had their under surfaces finished in Special Night where the fin and rudder were also considered part of the under surfaces. Special Night was a very matt finish black with a rough pigment, which had been introduced to camouflage night flying aircraft against detection by searchlights. First applied to Night Fighters in 1940 it became standard for Night Bombers (including the Mosquito in it’s bombing role) from 1942 onwards.
Designed in a private venture as a high-altitude, high-speed unarmed bomber, the de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito was first flown on November 25th, 1940. The Mosquito was one of the most successful aircraft of the Second World War. Only the Ju 88 could rival its versatility. Powered by two Rolls-Royce Merlin engines, the all-wood Mosquito was as fast as a fighter and could carry the payload of a medium bomber. During its lifetime, the Mosquito was used in varying roles, which included night fighter and ground attack. It carried radar systems and cannons, and there was even a carrier landing version.