Corgi Aviation Archive 1/72 scale AA34106: Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk 50 of 24 Sqn, SAAF, Waterkloof, South Africa, 1970. Limited Edition of 2100 Pieces.
Length 10.5 inches Wingspan 7.25 inches
South Africa was the only overseas country to order the Buccaneer and 16 were ordered by the South African Air Force designated S.Mk.50, which was a land-based export variant equivalent of the S.Mk.2, without hydraulic wing-folding gear. For comfortable operation at high take-off weights from hot and high airfields, two retractable Bristol Siddeley B.S.605 twin-chamber rocket engines, giving 8,000 Ib.s.t. were installed in the S.Mk.50s immediately forward of the air brakes. In service, the aircraft were equipped with four Nord A.S.30. missiles or Matra rocket pods. The last of the South African Air Force Buccaneers remained in service until 1990, but most of them had to be cannibalised to keep the last six airworthy, as Britain refused to supply spare parts for these to South Africa as part of its continued arms embargo. ‘414’ was the fourth of the batch to be built and is now preserved by the South African Air Force.
Designed as a specialized strike aircraft capable of carrying nuclear weapons, the Blackburn Buccaneer was first flown on April 30, 1958. This mid-wing, twin-engine monoplane had a number of advanced features, including an area-ruled fuselage and a variable incidence tailplane. The Buccaneer served with the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force between 1962 and 1994, seeing action in the first Gulf War when 12 Buccaneers flew 218 missions to drop bombs and to provide a laser designation capability for other British aircraft. Buccaneers also served with the Fleet Air Arm between 1962 and 1978, where some were modified to carry anti-ship missiles.