McDonnell Douglas F-4J Phantom II – VX-4 Evaluators, Vandy 1 Black Bunny, US Navy, NAS Point Magu, CA, 1969
1 in stock
1 in stock
Corgi Aviation Archive 1/72 scale AA33205; McDonnell Douglas F-4J Phantom II of VX-4 Evaluators, Vandy 1 Black Bunny, US Navy based at NAS Point Magu, CA, 1969
Non limited model
Length 10.5 inches Wingspan 6.25 inches
Air Development Squadron Four (VX-4) is the United States Navy’s Operational Test and Evaluation Unit, based at Point Mugu, California, and flew all-naval fighter versions of the Phantom to conduct evaluations and investigations of aircraft weapon systems and support system equipment under operational environment conditions, and to develop tactics and doctrines for the use of these weapons by Naval Air. During 1969, 153783 was the first of three of the Unit’s Phantoms to be given this smart overall black finish and adopted the ‘Playboy’ symbol on the tail, after which the aircraft was known as the ‘Black Bunny’.
Designed as a fleet defense fighter for the US Navy, the F-4 Phantom was first flown on May 27, 1958. This twin-engine, long-range all-weather fighter/bomber proved highly adaptable and served in the Marine Corps and the US Air Force as well as in the Navy. During the Vietnam War, it was the principal air superiority fighter for the Navy and the Air Force and was also used for reconnaissance and ground attack. The Phantom continued to serve well into the 1970s and 1980s and even flew missions during the first Gulf War. Finally phased out by the F-14, F-16 and F/A-18, the Phantom was retired in 1996.