Corgi Aviation Archive 1/72 scale AA33210: McDonnell Douglas F-4J (UK) Phantom F3 ZE360 of 74 Sqn, RAF Wattisham, England, 1986. Limited edition of 2,500 pieces.
A shortage of Phantoms in the RAF resulted in No. 74 Squadron initially re- equipping with fifteen refurbished U.S. Navy F-4J Phantoms at Wattisham, Suffolk, on 1st July 1984. Designated as the F-4J (UK), these aircraft were known as the F.Mk.3 in RAF service and initially wore their U.S. Navy overall light blue-grey finish, before being repainted in RAF grey. ZE360 is depicted in its initial squadron markings when delivered to No. 74 Squadron, coded ‘0’, before they decided to paint the aircraft fins black. When other squadrons relinquished their Phantom FGR.2s, No. 74 Squadron replaced their F.3s with that variant and ZE360 was retired to the Fire Training School at RAF Mansion, Kent, where it is still extant today.
Designed as a fleet defense fighter for the US Navy, the F-4 Phantom was first flown on May 27, 1958. This twin-engine, long-range all-weather fighter/bomber proved highly adaptable and served in the Marine Corps and the US Air Force as well as in the Navy. During the Vietnam War, it was the principal air superiority fighter for the Navy and the Air Force and was also used for reconnaissance and ground attack. The Phantom continued to serve well into the 1970s and 1980s and even flew missions during the first Gulf War. Finally phased out by the F-14, F-16 and F/A-18, the Phantom was retired in 1996.