English Electric/BAC Lightning F3 XP763 – 23 Sqn, RAF Leuchars (Polished Metal)
1 in stock
1 in stock
Corgi Aviation Archive 1/72 Scale AA32306: English Electric Lightning F3 XP763 of 23 Squadron, RAF Leuchars, Scotland. Limited Edition of 2800 Pieces. With superb looking polished metal finish.
Length 9.25 inches Wingspan 5.75 inches
23 Squadron RAF moved north from Coltishall to Leuchars in Fife in March 1963 and in less than eighteen months had re-equipped from the Gloster Javelin to the English Electric Lightning F3, which was the squadron’s first single-seat fighter since 1933. By the end of October 1964, the squadron had its full complement of twelve fighters plus a T.4 trainer. XP763 was built at Preston and first flew on 11th September 1964, being delivered to 23 Squadron coded ‘M’. It left the squadron in July 1966 and continued in service with 56 and 29 Squadrons until being retired at Wattisham, Suffolk, in December 1974. In March 1975, it was Struck Off Charge and scrapped.
Designed to meet a need for a supersonic research aircraft, the English Electric Lightning was first flown on August 4, 1954. The Lightning was uniquely designed-its delta wing was based on German engineering research captured during WWII-and it was the last RAF fighter to be produced entirely in Britain. Instead of being placed on the wings, the Lightning’s twin engines were stacked on top of one another, giving the aircraft an unusual height and an expanded profile. Capable of Mach 2.5, it had a rate-of-climb and maneuverability that could hold its own against any contemporary fighter.