McDonnell Douglas F-4J Phantom II – VMFA-232 Red Devils, USMC, Iwakuni, Japan, 1973
1 in stock
1 in stock
Corgi Aviation Archive 1/72 scale Legends US33216: McDonnell Douglas F-4J Phantom II of VMFA-232 Red Devils, USMC, Iwakuni, Japan, 1973. The legends range have fixed lowered undercarriage on a display stand and diorama base within a plastic blister.
Length 10.5 inches Wingspan 6.25 inches
First flown from McDonnell Douglas’ St. Louis, Missouri, plant on September 4, 1968, this aircraft served both with the US Navy and Marine Corps during a 26-year service career. Converted into an F-4S in 1980, BuNo 155801 was retired to desert storage at Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona, in April 1986 by Navy test squadron VX-4. It is still in storage, awaiting scrapping today.
Designed as a fleet defense fighter for the US Navy, the F-4 Phantom was first flown on May 27, 1958. This twin-engine, long-range all-weather fighter/bomber proved highly adaptable and served in the Marine Corps and the US Air Force as well as in the Navy. During the Vietnam War, it was the principal air superiority fighter for the Navy and the Air Force and was also used for reconnaissance and ground attack. The Phantom continued to serve well into the 1970s and 1980s and even flew missions during the first Gulf War. Finally phased out by the F-14, F-16 and F/A-18, the Phantom was retired in 1996.