1 in stock
1 in stock
Corgi Aviation Archive AA37305: de Havilland Vampire T11 WZ507 of the Vampire Preservation Group, North Weald Airfield, England, 2008. Limited Edition of 1,200 Pieces.
Length 5.25 inches Wingspan 6.25 inches
The Vampire was the first RAF single engine jet fighter to enter service, the prototype first flying on September 20, 1943. The Vampire T11 Trainer first flew in 1950, serving the RAF until 1968. Built in 1952 at Christchurch, Dorset, WZ507 was delivered to the RAF in March 1953, serving with 229 OCU, 8FTS, 5FTS, 3 CAACU and finally CATCS at Shawbury. Retired from RAF service in 1969, WZ507 became the first ex-military jet to be put onto the UK civilian register, after being restored to full flying condition in 1980, and registered G-VTII. Bought by its present owners in 2002, in 2008 it was repainted in the marking of No.219 Sqn which operated Venom NF.2s from Driffield, Yorkshire during 1955-57, with a Vampire T.11 for training/hack duties. WZ507 is still believed to be the only British-built, ex-RAF Vampire T11 flying in the world and based at North Weald airfield in Essex.
Designed for the RAF as an experimental jet fighter, the de Havilland DH.100 Vampire was first flown on September 20, 1943. The Vampire was the second jet fighter to serve in the RAF, but it was introduced too late to see combat during WWII. It did, however, serve in front line squadrons until 1955, and it was used as a trainer for more than a decade afterwards. This important aircraft is notable for its many achievements; it was the first RAF fighter to exceed 500 mph, the first jet aircraft to cross the Atlantic, and the first jet to take off from and land on an aircraft carrier.