Consolidated B-24 Liberator III – 120 Sqn, RAF Coastal Command, Aldergrove, Northern Ireland, 1943
Out of stock
Out of stock
Corgi Aviation Archive Collector Series AA34005 Consolidated B-24 Liberator Mk III serial FK228 of 120 Sqn, RAF Coastal Command, Aldergrove, Northern Ireland, 1943. Limited edition of 1,900 pieces
Length 11.25 inches Wingspan 18.25 inches
It was the allocation of the Liberator to Coastal Command’s No.120 Squadron during the early part of the war that enabled the RAF to close the mid-Atlantic gap, where U-boats were working without being spotted, and provide a measure of air support for a convoy all the way across the Atlantic. These were Liberator GR.Mk.ls, which were delivered in June 1941 to No.120 Squadron which reformed at Nutts Corner, near Belfast, N. Ireland. The following year the squadron moved to nearby Ballykelly, with a detachment to Reykjavik, Iceland and received its first GR.Mk.llls in June 1942. In February 1943, 120 Squadron had moved again within Northern Ireland, to Aldergrove, followed by a permanent move two months later to Reykjavik. A first U-Boat kill was confirmed in September of that year. In October, the squadron carried out twenty attacks on U-boats, which included three kills.
Designed to fill a United States Army Air Corps need for a heavy bomber, the B-24 Liberator was first flown on December 29, 1939. The USAAC originally asked Consolidated to build the B-17 under license, but the company instead chose to submit a more modern design with greater speed, greater range and a heavier bomb load. Despite these advantages, the B-24 was more difficult to fly, had poor formation-flying characteristics, and was much more vulnerable to battle damage, which meant it never became the favored bomber among American aircrews. It did prove more than serviceable, however, especially for long-range missions.