Out of stock
Out of stock
Corgi Aviation Archive 1/72 scale AA36103: Consolidated Catalina Mk IVA of 210 Sqn, RAF Coastal Command based at Sullom Voe, Shetland Islands, 1944. Complete with Rescue Diorama base. Limited Edition of 1890 Pieces.
Length 10.75 inches Wingspan 17.25 inches
No.210 Squadron was formed on 1 April 1918, from No.10 (Naval) Squadron at Treizennes and was equipped with Camels. It had originally been formed at St.Pol on 12 February 1917, as part of the Royal Naval Air Service based in Flanders. During its first week as a RAF squadron, it was engaged in ground attack duties, helping to stop the German offensive, and there followed for the rest of the war a period of offensive patrols and bomber escort missions over Belgium, fighter cover also being given to monitors off the Belgian coast. In February 1919, it returned to the UK and disbanded on 24 June 1919. On 1 February 1920, No.186 squadron as a Torpedo bomber unit equipped with Cuckoos but disbanded again on 1 April 1923. It reformed on 1 March 1931 at Felistowe as a flying boat squadron, receiving Southhamptons in May. In June 1931 it moved to Pembroke dock where a flying boat base was being built which became the squadron’s home base until the war. In September 1935 No.210 converted to Rangoons and moved to Gibraltar during the Ethiopian crisis, returning in August 1936 to re-equip with Singapores. In September 1937 it was detached to Algeria as part of an Anglo-French force assembled to counter the activities of submarines attacking neutral shipping during the Spanish Civil war, returning in December. In June 1938, the first Sunderlands arrived and by the end of the year No.210 was fully equipped. The first operational patrol with the type was flown on 3 September 1939, and in the following months detachments were positioned at Invergordon and Sullom Voe to fly patrols over the northern exits from the North Sea. In July 1940 the Squadron moved to Oban to fly patrols over the Atlantic and in April 1941 converted to Catalinas. In February 1942 a move was made to the Shetlands and a detachment was transferred to No.202 Squadron and all the operational aircraft to No.302 Ferry Training Unit. On 1 January 1944, No.190 Squadron was renumbered 210 squadron and the latters remaining detachment at Hamworthy was dispersed. Patrols from Shetlands were flown for the rest of the war and on 4 June 1945 the squadron disbanded. The Consolidated Model 28 PBY Catalina was so successful in its definitive form that it went on to become the most extensively built flying boat of all time. Here, a 210 Squadron Catalina MK IVA from RAF Sullom VOe, Shetland has located two weary downed aircrew, drained but grateful after a long night in the North Atlantic swell.
Designed to replace the Martin P3M, the PBY Catalina was first flown on March 28th, 1935. This aircraft is a long range patrol flying boat, one of the most rugged and versatile aircraft in U.S. history. Its long range assisted in the location and attack of enemy transport ships. A great advantage of flying boats is that they need no runway, however later PBY variants incorporated retractable landing gear, allowing for amphibious operation from land or water. Even today-more than seventy years after its first flight-the PBY continues to fly as an air tanker in firefighting operations throughout the world.