fbpx
, ,

Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX – PL258, 331 (Norwegian) Sqn RAF, 1944. Norwegian Spitfire Foundation Restoration 1/48

Availability:

2 in stock

£76.99

2 in stock

Hobby Master 1/48 scale HA8321: Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX PL258 of 331 (Norwegian) Sqn RAF, as flown by Carl Jacob Stousland, 1944. Currently under restoration for the Norwegian Spitfire Foundation. Production run of only 350 models. Sold out at launch and getting hard to find.

Length 7.75 inches Wingspan 9.25 inches

In 1944 Spitfire Mk. IX PL258 was built in Castle Bromwich Aircraft Factory and flown by 331 (Norwegian) Squadron’s Fenrik (Ensign) Carl Jacob Stousland. On December 29, 1944 the aircraft was on a reconnaissance flight over Germany when it collided with Spitfire PT909 piloted by Sergeant Ole Tilset. Stousland managed to make a belly landing near Tubbergen, Netherlands but the aircraft was a write-off. Tilset was captured but Dutch farmers hid Stousland and after 79 days he managed to reach Allied lines.

The remains of PL258 were discovered in 2018. The Norwegian Spitfire Foundation has now purchased the remains of PL258. These will form the core of a restoration and rebuild project, and the Civil Aviation Authority in the UK has allocated G-NSFS as a temporary registration. When the aircraft restoration is finally completed and test-flown, PL258 will be transferred to the Norwegian register. NSF will own the project and promote it as it wishes. Already now during the restoration and rebuild process, PL258 will be used to tell the story of the Norwegian fighter pilots and the ground staff in the UK and on the Continent during WWII. The restoration will for the most part take place at and be managed by the Aircraft Restoration Company in England.

331 Squadron RAF was a Second World War squadron of the Royal Air Force. The squadron was primarily manned with Norwegian aircrew. The squadron was part of Fighter Command between 1941 and March 1944 when it joined the 2nd Tactical Air Force until the end of the war. The squadron took part in the Dieppe Raid and the Normandy landings. Formed as a fighter squadron at RAF Catterick in Yorkshire on July 21st, 1941 the squadron was manned by exiled Norwegians, except for the ground crew and the commanding officer. It was given the RAF aircraft code prefix “FN”, which was often said to be an abbreviation for “First Norwegian” or “For Norway”, the latter being the squadron’s official motto (in Norwegian For Norge). The squadron badge was a Norwegian Viking sword and a British sword in saltire, bound together with a ring – symbolizing the friendship between Norway and Great Britain. The squadron was initially equipped with Hawker Hurricane Mk 1s, inherited from a Polish RAF unit. These had to be rebuilt before 331 Squadron could become operational, on September 15th, 1941. It provided defense for northern Scotland, moving to RAF Castletown on August 21st and later to RAF Skaebrae. On May 4th, 1942, the squadron moved south to RAF North Weald, having re-equipped with Spitfires in November 1941.

331 Squadron was joined by a second Norwegian unit 332 Squadron, also flying Spitfires. Together they were known as North Weald Wing and were part of the Allied air umbrella over the landing area in the Dieppe Raid, and later flying fighter sweeps and escort operations over occupied France and the Low Countries. In November 1943, 331 and 332 Squadrons were transferred to the 2nd Tactical Air Force and became known as No. 132 Airfield; later No. 132 Wing. Following fighter bomber and tactical air superiority operations, connected to preparations for D-Day and the actual landings in France, the squadron moved to Caen, Normandy, in August 1944. From September onwards, 132 Wing participated in the Liberation of Holland and provided air support for the crossing of the Rhine.

Designed by R.J.Michell to meet a British Air Ministry specification, the Supermarine Spitfire first flown on March 5th, 1936. With its combination of beautiful fighter design, the excellent performance of its Rolls-Royce Merlin powerplant and firepower provided by twin cannons and four machine guns, the Spitfire became an unrivaled symbol of victory. The Spitfire had 40 major variants and was built in greater numbers than any other British aircraft of the time. It flew operationally on every front between 1939 and 1945 and was engaged in every one of the Royal Air Force’s major actions.

Sold By : Plane Store SKU: HA8321 Categories: , ,
Weight 1.6 kg