McDonnell Douglas F-4D Phantom II – 480th TFS, USAF, Phu Cat AB, Vietnam, 1969
2 in stock
2 in stock
Hobby Master 1:72 Air Power Series HA19027: McDonnell Douglas F-4D Phantom II #66-7733 of 480th TFS, USAF, Phu Cat AB, Vietnam, 1969. Production run of 600 models. With up to 18 Mk82 bomb load
Length 10.5 inches Wingspan 6.25 inches
In 1957 the 480th TFS was established as the 480th FBS equipped with F-100s. In May 1969 the 480th TFS converted to the F-4D and later that year moved to Phu Cat AB, South Vietnam. The squadron was the first to shoot down a MiG-21 and had a total of 9 MiG victories. F-4D 66-7733 was delivered to the 366th TFW in 1969 and then the 480th. After Vietnam the 480th TFS was disbanded and 66-7733 moved from squadron to squadron before being sent to AMARC in 1989 and scrapped in September 1998.
Designed as a fleet defense fighter for the US Navy, the F-4 Phantom was first flown on May 27, 1958. This twin-engine, long-range all-weather fighter/bomber proved highly adaptable and served in the Marine Corps and the US Air Force as well as in the Navy. During the Vietnam War, it was the principal air superiority fighter for the Navy and the Air Force and was also used for reconnaissance and ground attack. The Phantom continued to serve well into the 1970s and 1980s and even flew missions during the first Gulf War. Finally phased out by the F-14, F-16 and F/A-18, the Phantom was retired in 1996.