McDonnell-Douglas F-4F Phantom II – JG 74 MÖLDERS, Luftwaffe 1990s
1 in stock
1 in stock
Hobby Master 1/72 scale HA1904: McDonnell-Douglas F- 4F Phantom II in the livery of JG 74 MÖLDERS, Luftwaffe. Production run of 1,700 models.
Length 9.75 inches Wingspan 6.25 inches
The West German Government decided to buy the F-4F to replace their F-104s. The “F” version was basically an “E” with major components made in Germany. Between September 1973 and April 1976 175 F4Fs were delivered. Some aircraft went to equip Hunting Squadron “JG 74” MÖLDERS. Carrying on a tradition of honoring their war heroes, in 1973 the JG 74 Squadron received the name “MÖLDERS”. MÖLDERS was a WWII Ace with 101 victories when in November 1941 he died in a plane crash while a passenger on a He-111. In 2005 the German Defense Ministry decided that since MÖLDERS had been in the Condor Legion that took part in bombing of a Spanish town during the Spanish Civil War that he didn’t deserve to be honored and his name would no longer be associated with JG 74.
The McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II is a two-seat, supersonic long-range all-weather fighter-bomber. The aircraft was designed as a USN Fleet defense aircraft and entered service in 1961. The F-4 soon became one of the few aircraft to be utilized by the USN, USAF and USMC. The Phantom could carry a varied payload and armament so it was well suited to do just about any job. Because of its large nose and ruggedness the F-4 earned the nickname “Rhino”, along with others that were less flattering. The F-4 went on to serve in no less than 11 other countries. Production ended in 1979 with 5,201 aircraft manufactured in 14 different versions.