1 in stock
1 in stock
Hobby Master 1/72 scale HA1502: North American Harvard Mk 4 of Luftwaffe, Bavaria, Germany, 1960.
Length 4.5 inches Wingspan 7 inches
In 1955 the USAF developed a technical training center that taught 39 different courses such as aircraft and engine repair, air traffic control, weapons and ammunition, electronics, aerial photograph nature, intelligence and logistics. In 1956 schools were set up in 5 – 6 locations within Germany with one being in Kaufbeuren in the SW corner of Bavaria. This was considered the birth of the modern day Luftwaffe but it wasn’t until November 1957 that full control was assumed by Luftwaffe.
555 of the ultimate version, the Harvard 4 were produced by the Canada Car and Foundry during the 1950s and supplied to the RCAF, USAF and Bundeswehr. Through the Mutual Defence Assistance Program (MDAP) Canada supplied 135 Harvard Mk IV for $1 per unit to the Luftwaffe. The Harvard Mk IV was used mainly with the FFS “A” (flight leader school) in Landsberg between 1956 and 1966. Some planes went to the TSLw “1” (Technical Training School) in Kaufbeuren where 39 different courses were taught.
Designed as an entry for a 1937 USAAC “Basic Combat” aircraft competition, the T-6 was first flown on April 1, 1935. Several hundred T-6s were built before the advanced trainer designation, when it was modified for its role as a basic combat trainer. Nicknamed “the pilot maker,” the Texan had low cantilever wings and a long two seat cockpit, with the engine mounted at the extreme forward. It trained thousands of USAF pilots through the 1950s and remained in service with some nations well into the 1990s. More than 15,000 T-6s were manufactured, and the aircraft remains a familiar air show presence, with 350+ airworthy examples still in existence.