Lockheed TF-104 Starfighter 2 seater of the 418th TFTS, 58th TTW, USAF based at Luke AFB in 1976. Production run of 1,000 models, of which only a few were imported to the UK.
From 1964 until 1983 the West German Air Force trained their F-104 pilots at Luke AFB in Arizona. Originally the USAF 4510th Combat Crew Training Wing was assigned the task before being re-designated the 58th TTW. The German pilots trained using German F-104s with U.S. serials and markings. The 418th TFTS operated as part of the 58th TTW from October 1969 until 15 August 1976 when it was disbanded. Early in 1976 one F-104 was given a special paint scheme to commemorate the USA Bicentennial. The F-104 Starfighter was an military aircraft with revolutionary designs. It had short razor-sharp wings and was the first aircraft to be able to maintain Mach 2 not just in short bursts. This extremely high speed earned the plane the nickname “The Missile With A Man In It”. Because of financial considerations 15 or more countries purchased the F-104. The Starfighter flew with the USAF in 1958 and the last airplane was decommissioned in Italy in 2004.