Republic P-47D Thunderbolt “No Guts, No Glory” as flown by Lt. Ben Mayo of the 82nd FS, 78th FG based at Duxford in 1944. This superb liveried aircraft can still be seen flying at Duxford today. Limited edition of only 4,000 pieces, this model is now hard to find. Looks brilliant on display.
Designed by Alexander Kartveli meeting a USAAC requirement for a heavy fighter, the P-47 was first flown on May 6th, 1941. Later models featured a “bubble-top” canopy rather than the sharply peaked “razorback” fuselage which resulted in poor visibility for the aircraft’s pilot. The P-47, a deadly pursuit aircraft, featured 8 x 12.7mm machine guns; all mounted in the wings. Even with the complicated turbosupercharger system, the sturdy airframe and tough radial engine, the P-47 (“Jug” or “Juggernaut” as it was nicknamed) could absorb damage and still return home. Built in greater quantities than any other US fighter, the P-47 was the heaviest single-engine WWII fighter and the first piston-powered fighter to exceed 500 mph.
Corgi’s 1:72 scale P-47 series are constructed almost entirely of diecast metal with only the smallest amount of plastic used. Details of the radial engine and air intake are visible inside the oval engine cowling. The turbo-supercharger exhaust vent and separately applied intercooler exit doors are nicely detailed at the rear of the fuselage. Each release in the series includes different weapons ordnance or external fuel tanks. The four staggered machine gun barrels that protrude from each of the wings’ leading edges are constructed of rigid plastic, and there are shell casing vents below each wing