McDonnell Douglas F-4F Phantom II – 38+13 “Final Flight”, WTD 61 Manching AB, 2013Add to compare
Out of stock
Out of stock
Hobby Master 1/72 scale HA1977: McDonnell Douglas F-4F Phantom II serial 38+13 “Final Flight” of WTD 61, Manching AB, 2013. Production run of 800 models.
Length 10.5 inches. Wingspan 6.25 inches
The F-4F variant of the McDonnell Douglas Phantom II entered service with the Luftwaffe in 1974. Eventually 175 F-4Fs would replace the F-104Gs Starfighters used by two interceptor wings (JG-71 and JG-74) and two ground attack wings (JBG-35 and JBG-36). F-4F 72-1223 C/N 4644 was assigned to JBG-36 and later transferred to WTD 61 (Technical and Airworthiness Centre) at Manching AB. Even when the F-4F had been removed from active service 38+13 still flew at WTD 61. On July 30, 2013 wearing a special paint scheme 38+13 made its final flight.
WTD 61 is tasked with conducting ground and flight tests of equipment developed by the defense industry on behalf of the Bundeswehr. This includes the qualification and technical evaluation of all newly developed flying systems of the Bundeswehr and of modifications carried out on aircraft already in service. The data is evaluated in terms of the aircraft’s performance, its properties as well as its fitness to participate in general air traffic (traffic safety, airworthiness).
The McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II is a two-seat, supersonic long-range all-weather fighter-bomber. The aircraft was designed as a USN Fleet defense aircraft and entered service in 1961. The F-4 soon became one of the few aircraft to be utilized by the USN, USAF and USMC. The Phantom could carry a varied payload and armament so it was well suited to do just about any job. Because of its large nose and ruggedness the F-4 earned the nickname “Rhino”, along with others that were less flattering. The F-4 went on to serve in no less than 11 other countries. Production ended in 1979 with 5,201 aircraft manufactured in 14 different versions.