Dornier Do 24 Flying Boat – Kriegsmarine Germany (1/144 Scale)Add to compare
1 in stock
1 in stock
Beautiful 1/144 scale model of the Dornier Do-24 in the livery of the Kriegsmarine, German Navy in World War 2. Approx Wingspan 18cm, Length 16cm.
The Dornier Do 24 is a 1930s German three-engine flying boat designed by the Dornier Flugzeugwerke for maritime patrol and search and rescue. According to Dornier records, some 12,000 people were rescued by Do 24s during its flying career. A total of 279 were built among several factories from 1937-1945.
Thirty seven Dutch and German built Do.24s had been sent to the East Indies by the time of the German occupation of the Netherlands in June 1940. Until the outbreak of war, these aircraft would have flown the tri-color roundel. Later, to avoid confusion with British or French roundels, Dutch aircraft flew a black-bordered orange triangle insignia. A Dutch Dornier Do.24 is credited with sinking the Japanese destroyer Shinonome on December 17, 1941 while the ship was escorting an invasion fleet to Miri in British Borneo. On 10 January 1942 a Dutch Dornier Do.24K spotted a Japanese invasion fleet heading for Tarakan Island in Dutch Borneo, giving adequate warning so that all oil instalations could be destroyed before the Japanese arrived. After the Japanese invasion of the Netherlands East Indies, six surviving Do.24s were transferred to the Royal Australian Air Force in February 1942. They served in the RAAF through most of 1944 as transports in New Guinea, making the Do.24 one of the few aircraft serving operationally on both sides during World War II.
During the war, a German Do.24 made a forced landing in neutral Sweden, was impounded and eventually bought, and remained in Swedish service until 1952.
In 1944, 12 Dutch-built Do.24s were delivered to Spain with the understanding that they would assist downed airmen of both sides. After the war, a few French-built Do.24s also found their way to Spain. Spanish Do.24s were operational at least until 1967, and possibly later. In 1971, one of the last flying Spanish Do.24s was returned to the Dornier facility on Lake Constance for permanent display.